Friday, September 7, 2012

Air Cav Madness!

I was rather happy that I got to stop by my FLGS yesterday, as I managed to get a very nice trade!
LOTS of Spess Mehrehns!
A friend of mine at the shop bought the last 2 Assault on Black Reach box sets they had (Yes, they still had some), and wanted the 2 sets of AoBR Orks I got from previous trades/Christmas. As a result, I have a nice supplementary force for my IG. I especially like this option, as these guys are actually Battle Brothers with my Guard. Woot for awesome trades! As for the chapter these guys will be, I'll still leave that for another time...

So I have a few other things I've been working on as of late, mostly just for the lulz.

I finally got around to finishing this guy up. He was a random acquisition I got from eBay back in '08. He was already sprayed green, so there wasn't a whole lot more that I wanted to do. I thought about camo'ing up the Chimera, but we'll see where we go from there. I need to dig up my old IG codex. They had some awesome hobby articles in there. Why did they stop doing that?!

And here's the center of today's post
I ended up grabbing this model kit some time ago just for scale modelling purposes. However, my quickly-dwindling hobby budget is forcing me to get creative with what I've got. After seeing several hobby posts around the Interwebs, I figured this would be an okay idea, especially to round off my Valkyrie squadron. 

As you can see, I've already started priming a lot of the larger panel-esque parts of the chopper. Seeing as how the interior of this model is heavily featured, I wanted to make sure I could prime and paint enough of those parts as I could before I start putting this thing together.

You can tell this was a cheaply-made model kit...
 As unfortunate as the build quality is, I didn't want to buy more 40k pieces I can't afford, not to mention the only other people who could fit in would be 40k Sentinel pilots, and I'm quite certain they don't have legs anymore. Given that this is an older model kit, I was a bit worried about the comparison of scale with the 40k scale of "heroic" 28mm.

Not horribly accurate, but it'll do.
That being said, I started on the pilots, as I wanted to get these guys done quickly. They would need some of the greater amounts of detailing, next to instrument panels and weapons.

Thank God for Vallejo Extra Opaque paint!
These guys are coming together nicely, as poorly molded as these guys are. Thank God most of the bad flashing is on the legs, which aren't going to be seen much. I want these guys to look like they're attached to my mercenary company, so I'm matching their flight suits to the general paint scheme of my army. I'll probably give them an insignia somewhere on their shoulders and paint their helmets up accordingly.

Either way, things are building up quite nicely. I have a LOT of projects crowding up the table, but I couldn't be any happier about it. We'll be back soon enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment